Thursday, April 22, 2010

Practicing Patience and "Living as If"

I was reading another blog (maybe Dooce?) that described the experience of waiting for mental health treatment to really "kick in." Imagine going to the doctor for strep throat: how would you respond if told you can expect to feel some relief in 8-12 weeks? It would seem absurd and yet it's the reality for many suffering from anxiety or mood disorders.

Because anxiety disorders tend to respond to drug treatment more slowly than depression (and OCD responds slowly even for an anxiety disorder), I've been told it can be a few months before the Zoloft really takes peak effect. MONTHS, people! AND that's once I get to the "therapeutic dose" as I am still slowly tapering up the amount I'm taking. Add to that the fact that CBT is often a long-haul treatment approach taking 6+ months, this will all give me ample opportunity to exercise some serious patience (which my loved ones would probably tell you is not my strong suit).

So what do I do in the meantime? I "live as if." I live as if I don't feel anxious or sad. I go about my daily routine, I spend time with my baby and husband, I cook, I read, I work, I participate in activities that I enjoy. And you know what? It almost always makes me feel better. Sure, I have bad days. But even on those bad days, I feel better knowing that I am not letting the anxiety win. I am not going to give up on these precious moments because I'm waiting around to feel better. I know that will come, but in the meantime I'm determined to enjoy as much of this journey as I possibly can.

Want to know more about postpartum OCD? This article describes it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment